Can I claim for a child who has an accident on holiday?

A child can make a claim if they are injured on holiday. All they will need is a responsible adult to act on their behalf, such as a parent or guardian.

Holiday Claims Bureau frequently act for children who have been involved in an accident on holiday.

Children have spent most of the last 18 months restricted in what they have been able to do. Their school and social lives have been impacted and they are all very excited to get on an aeroplane and go on holiday.   It is common for children to suffer injury in unfamiliar environments. Holiday companies and hotels are under a duty to consider this risk and reduce the likelihood of danger posed to children whilst on holiday.

If you have any questions about claiming compensation for your child following a holiday accident, please get in touch with the Holiday Claims Bureau here.

What type of holiday accidents can I claim for my child?

Our experienced team represent children and their families in compensation claims arising from accidents including:

  • Trips and slips around the hotel
  • Swimming pool accidents
  • Accidents in the kid’s club
  • Road traffic accidents
  • Slips on wet floors
  • Cuts and scarring due to sharp objects

What do I do if my child has an accident on holiday?

  • Seek medical treatment if needed. There is often a medical centre at the hotel complex who should be able to help or if it is more serious, ask the hotel to contact an ambulance to take your child to hospital.
  • Obtain copies of any medical notes and bring these home with you.
  • Report the accident to the hotel and holiday representative. Obtain a copy of the accident report form.
  • Take photographs of the accident location and surrounding area including anything which caused the injury.
  • Make a note of any changes which occurred following the accident and take photographs if possible, for example any warning signs which were put up after the accident occurred.
  • Take photographs of your child’s injury.

How it works

After filling in our simple online form the rest is easy...
step 1
One of our advisors will be in touch to take any extra information needed
step 2
We will assess your claims legitimacy and once approved we will begin the claim
step 3
Once an agreement has been made a cash sum will be awarded to you

The Holiday Claims Bureau have helped thousands of people to receive the highest compensation payouts

Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, SRA number 632313. Holiday Claims Bureau is a trading name of JPS Walker Solicitors Limited, which is a limited company registered in England and Wales at 8 Trumpet Street, Manchester, M1 5LW under Company Number 10213017.