£200,000 fine for wedding catering company who served Salmonella-infected hog roast
A catering firm has been fined £200,000 and ordered to pay almost £50,000 costs after 58 wedding guests fell ill after consuming a hog roast that was infected with Salmonella bacteria.
Following Phil and Vicki Kemp’s wedding reception in October 2017, dozens of guests began to experience symptoms including stomach cramps, vomiting and diarrhoea. Three had to be hospitalised.
The couple themselves were so ill that they had to cancel their planned honeymoon in the Dominican Republic.
Cannock Magistrates’ Court heard how Lichfield District Council, who identified the wedding salmonella outbreak, described the contaminated meat as “dangerously undercooked”. The Galloping Gourmet (Coulsden) Ltd admitted to serving unsafe food and failing to adequately implement food safety procedures.
If you suspect salmonella poisoning has affected your health during your special occasion, the Holiday Claims Bureau is here to support you. Your well-being is our priority. Reach out to us at 0161 813 2131 or commence your salmonella poisoning claim online by filling out our online form. We’re committed to guiding you through the process and assisting you in seeking the compensation you deserve.
Council inspection discovered inadequate food safety standards
The health inspectors’ investigation found that pork had not been heated to a temperature greater than 75 degrees, which is necessary to kill the salmonella bacteria. When a further inspection took place at Galloping Gourmet’s premises some days later, inspectors found potential cross-contamination as chopping boards used for raw meat were coming into contact with other foods. They also discovered out-of-date foods and mould in refrigerators.
Mr Christopher Russell, representing Galloping Gourmet (Coulsden) Ltd, stated: “The company has no previous convictions and has a five star rating at its other nine sites. Further improvements and safeguards have been made to ensure this never happens again.
“The company would like to apologise for what happened to Mr and Mrs Kemp and their wedding guests.”
District Judge Kevin Grego said: “This had a devastating affect on Mr and Mrs Kemp on their wedding day. In total 53 guests were affected by salmonella poisoning. Records involving the hog roast were not proper, in fact fraudulent. The hog roast should have been heated to over 75 degrees but it wasn’t and this caused salmonella to be present.”
It was established that the wedding venue, Packington Moor in Staffordshire, was not responsible for the outbreak.
Has your wedding celebration been ruined by food poisoning? Our expert solicitors can help you get the compensation you deserve. Call us on 0161 813 2131 or get in touch online.
How it works
The Holiday Claims Bureau have helped thousands of people to receive the highest compensation payouts
Latest Holiday Claims News
Take a look at our recent compensation claim wins that we have secured for our clients