Guest at 5-star Excellence Punta Cana claims Salmonella infection from food
A December visitor to the 5-star Excellence Punta Cana hotel in the Dominican Republic says that food provided on-site led to a bout of salmonella poisoning.
Posting on TripAdvisor under the username ‘Beenthere’, the guest claims. “…They gave me salmonella food poisoning. Note I drank only bottled water…still taking antibiotics trying to get this cleared up. I will NEVER go back to this resort! Cooks at the cook stations kept trying to remove food from the grill before it was done.”
Salmonella affects the intestinal tract, and can be spread by eating raw or undercooked meat, poultry or eggs. The illness normally manifests itself with sickness, diarrhoea and gastric pain. It can also cause fever, shivering and headaches. Most infections resolve relatively quickly, but complications can occur if it spreads from the intestine. Young children and the elderly are especially vulnerable to a more serious prognosis.
What to do if you’ve been affected
People who purchase all-inclusive package holidays are protected by regulations which mean that they can be compensated if they fall ill as a result of eating the food provided as part of the package.
Holiday Claims Bureau have handled claims for British package visitors to the Dominican Republic and all over the world. If your much-anticipated break at the Excellence Punta Cana was afflicted by illness, we’re here to listen and help.
We are striving to make all-inclusive holiday consumers aware of the steps they should take if sickness strikes. This includes:
- Seeking medical advice
- Reporting your illness to the Tour Operator
- Collating any helpful evidence (eg photographs, receipts for medicines, details of staff you spoke to)
- Exchanging contact details with anyone else you meet who has had members of their party fall ill
- Taking care if the hotel or tour operator offer you any kind of ‘good will gesture’ such as vouchers, upgrades or token sums of money – they may try to get you to sign documents that discharge them of any further liability.
- Seeking legal advice from a holiday illness claim specialist.
How it works
The Holiday Claims Bureau have helped thousands of people to receive the highest compensation payouts
Latest Holiday Claims News
Take a look at our recent compensation claim wins that we have secured for our clients